Sunday, September 16, 2007

Interview With A First Time Hostess

We got together with Amy who hosted a table both nights at the Christmas Tea last year. She had never hosted before, so we asked her about her experience.

Tea Team: Had you ever attended the Christmas Tea at NECC before you hosted a table last year?

Amy: No, I had never been before. I thought about hostessing, but I felt a little intimidated. I talked to a few people and saw a couple of pictures from previous teas and that helped to dispel some fear.

Tea Team: Describe your table and the food you served.

Amy: I rented a red table cloth - it was very reasonable - $11 for three or four days - It was cheaper than buying one. The big round ones are expensive! And I can change my color theme from year to year! I wanted my table to reflect candle light so I placed little round mirrors around my table with various clear candle holders - it made the candle light dance around the table. The first center piece I made was way too tall. (I learned this after attending the hostess training meeting.) You wouldn't be able to see the people on the other side. So I dismantled it and made another from things I already had around my house. I used Christmas ornaments to help reflect the candle light. Then I set out to plan my food. I served light pumpkin muffins, nuts, a cheese "mold" with crackers and magic bars. Believe it or not, not many ate the sweets, they ate more of the muffins and cheese. I kept it extremely simple because I work full time and I could make the food ahead. I planned to make enough to serve both nights.

Tea Team: Were you nervous about hosting before you did it?

Amy: Oh my gosh! I was soooo nervous! Excited, yet nervous - I wanted the ladies to have a wonderful evening and for everything to go smoothly at my table. After my first guests arrived and were so gracious, I was able to relax and have fun.

Tea Team: Did you know the people who sat at your table?

Amy: I did not know anyone at my tables - I had asked what the most important need was and the Tea Coordinator, Michelle said seats - seats that she could sell tickets for. So that is what I did! I hosted one table each night and really enjoyed meeting the ladies at my table.

Tea Team: Why are you going to do it again this year?

Amy: I had such a great time last year! I really love the Christmas season and decorating and it feels good to give something of myself to people I don't know. And now that I've done it once, I know this is something that I can do without a problem. (Even working full time with two young kids!)

Tea Team: Do you have any advice for someone considering hosting for the first time?

Amy: Talk with a hostess who has done it before, she can help dissolve the fears of the unknown! Talk to the ladies behind the counter at church - they can give you ideas, decorating help and even time management tips. Or, you and a friend could co-host a table and do it together. That way, you'll have a friend with you sharing the hostessing duties.

Tea Team: What was your favorite part about hostessing?

Amy: Knowing that the ladies at my table had a wonderful kick-off to the Christmas season - all because of a few ladies and gents at Northeast and a little baby named Jesus! Oh, and I liked the decorating part too!

No comments: